Bislig City, Philippines.
Bislig City is located around 900 kilometers from the capital Manila in the province of Surigao
del Sur, Mindanao, Philippines. It is approximately 208 kilometers northeast of Davao City, 152 kilometers
south of Tandag (the provincial capital) and 158 southeast of Butuan City. According to the 2007 census, it
has a population of 107,960 people in 18,269 households.
Bislig was granted city status in 2000.
This website aims to give the visitor, or new resident, all the information they would need to know about Bislig
and the surrounding areas. Including information about civic services,nightlife, dining out, tourist attractions,
sports and recreation facilities etc.
History of Bislig
In the annals of Philippine historical heritage is rich in her recorded past dating back since the dawn of
civilization in this part of Mindanao. It has had its rich, turbulent and bloody, but dynamic transition that had
eventually led to its present social, economic, physical and political structure.
The legendary allusions as to how Bislig got its name dates back to the era prior to the coming of the Spanish
conquistadors. The town got its name from a forest vine of the rattan family that grew in abundance along the banks
of its rivers. This vine was noted for its strength and became known for saving a royal couple who crossed the
swollen river in one of their hunting expeditions and who almost died as they were carried downstream by the
rushing current. The legend has it that these hunters had already lost hope of surviving until they were able to
cling to a vine which was about 1/4 inch in diameter called Bislig. As a sign of thanksgiving, the ruler named this
The first inhabitants of Bislig were believed to have come from the Agusan Valley in the hinterlands of Mindanao
beyond the Magdiwata Mountains. These people used spears, bows and arrows and lived a semi-nomadic life and were
They were ruled during the later part of the seventeenth century by a native leader called “Bagani”, meaning a
formidable leader. They were very brave, tough and war-like. They also introduced edible crops such as rice, corn
and rootcrops to the area.
At the turn of the century, Spanish Colonizers and Missionaries imposed the rule of Spain and brought with them
Tagalogs, Ilongos, and Visayans from the North as members of their expeditionary forces.
Long before it became a town on January 1, 1921 per Executive Order No. 62 issued by Governor General Francis
Burton Harrison on December 28, 1920 with Primitivo A. Castillo as its first Municipal President, Bislig was
already an established political instrumentality or “pueblo” in the Province of Surigao (now Surigao del Sur and
Surigao del Norte). Earlier, the province was a part of an even bigger territory stretching from Northeastern
Mindanao down to the island’s Southeastern “pueblo” of Caraga and Man-ay in Davao Oriental. Caraga was originally
the seat of political, military and religious authority.
Since then efforts were made to improve and develop Bislig until the advent of Citihood campaign in 1999 and by
virtue of Republic Act No. 8804 Bislig was converted into a component city duly ratified and approved in a
plebiscite conducted in September 18, 2000.